The woes of COVID-19



    When the school year started I had so many plans. There were a ton of things that I wanted to do differently from the previous year; because as an educator, the mistakes become MY teacher. I was mostly looking forward to summer, as that is the time of year that I take my Pre-K-ers on field trips. It is the time of year where learning transcends the walls of  the center. Then on the week of March 16th, me and my colleagues were told that it would be our last week open with no tentative return date.

    If you're an educator like me then you can empathize with the emotions that came after hearing this news. It was a lot to take in in such a short amount of time. I knew that the closing of the center was the right thing to do, and yet in the same moment I felt overwhelming sadness. My mind immediately started racing with a ton of questions. Questions like: How long are we going to stay closed,? What about our families in need,? What if parents have no one to watch their children,? How many families will no longer be enrolled due to this pandemic,? How can I fulfill my purpose when I'm not able to teach my students?. It's been exactly 2 months to date since the center closed it's doors; and while many places have "reopened," I have just as many questions as I did before on how childcare will withstand it all.

     I am not sure what the guidelines are for the reopening of Childcare centers in your state, but if they are similar to the one I'm in, it is adding to the woes already being felt by many. The following are just some of the new policies that may be implemented:

-Children over 3 may be required to wear a mask
-There will be limited contact between student and teacher
-Class sizes will be reduced
- The hours of operation may be cut back

How can we provide a quality learning environment with these policies?!?

I think it is safe to say that many things aren't going back to the way they used to be and teaching is one of those "things." While I'm far from eager about the state Childcares and Preschools will be in
(and schools for that matter), I know that they can't stay closed forever. I know that in the coming months more businesses will open, putting more parents in a bind if they have no place to drop their children off as they return to work.

No teacher looks forward to the withdraw of affection amongst their students; whether that affection comes in the form of a high-five or a hug, it won't be something that's easy to get used to. However; if there is a group of individuals who can adapt to the most undesirable situations & stay dedicated to making an impact, it is us- Educators!!!

“A good teacher is like a candle — it consumes itself to light the way for others.” Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Ms.Pashea




Comments